Sunday, April 23, 2006

Dinner and a movie

The Kath & Kim DVD I purchased on ebay arrived in the mail on Friday. As my brother and an old uni friend were both free last night, I invited them around for some beers, a curry and a movie.

I was a little excited about the evening as it would be the first time I would be entertaining in my apartment. The apartment at this stage is a little sparse - 4 plates, 3 pots, some mugs, a dining table with chairs and a sofa is all I've accumulated so far, but I figured they wouldn't mind.

I have to admit I was tempted to duck out to the local Indian restaurant to get take out, but I hadn't cooked in so long and I was determined to christen the $20-for-3 pots purchased from Ikea. I wasn't cooking per se, as I think anything coming out of a jar is cheating. But still, I'd never cooked Indian before so what the hell.

It was only when I started to prep the ingredients that I realized I didn't have a cutting knife. My beautiful Wusthof knives are in a shipping container slowly making their way to Sydney. So I just had to make do with the crappy "utility" knife in the cutlery drawer.

Some music in the background, a glass of wine and chopping up veges, ahhh...therapy if I do say so myself. Only that dicing an onion with a steak knife is damn near impossible. After wrestling with it from flying across the kitchen for a few minutes, they were done. A large dice no less but hey, it'll cook down anyway, right?

Some steamed rice, cubed chicken breast, chopped tomatoes, half a jar of tikka masala paste, a dash of yoghurt and some fresh cilantro/coriander later, and dinner was ready.

We positioned ourselves on the couch - cold beer in hand and warm plates on laps - and turned on the tele.

Noice

2 Comments:

At April 24, 2006 2:25 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

C. Billy Joel at Madison Square Garden was absolutely sensational. Love, K.

 
At April 28, 2006 9:24 pm, Blogger FooDcrazEE said...

thats lovely aint it

 

Post a Comment

<< Home