Saturday, April 30, 2005

Chicken or Beef?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Photo courtesy Airlinemeals.net

Ahhh….airline food. You either love it or hate it. I happen to LOVE airline food, its one of the highlights of flying I reckon – the excitement of heading to the airport knowing you’re about to start on your holiday; the anticipation of getting on the plane and praying you don’t end up next to a smelly fat guy or a family with two howling toddlers; and of course what surprises lay ahead when you see the flight crew wheel the food trolley down the aisle.

Unfortunately nowadays being fed on any flight is pretty hard to come by, unless you’re on a long haul flight or lucky enough to be in business class. Gone are the days when even on a 2 hour flight you would be served a meal fit for a king, even in coach class. Now US domestic flights typically serve a packet of pretzels and a beverage, and that’s it.

But when you do get fed - bliss! Each course neatly packed into its own little container and beautifully presented on a tray. So compact, you would think there couldn’t possibly be enough food to fill you up, but it always does. Of course the presentation isn’t on par with bento boxes, but I think given the conditions its close enough for me.

In one of those “Why didn’t I think of that?” moments, the New York Times has published an
article about a website devoted entirely to photos of airline meals. Ever wondered what the flight crew eat on flights? What cuisine is served on a first class flight from JFK to LHR? What they serve on Uzbekistan Airways? Well airlinemeals.net is the site for you. There are thousands of photos and you can contribute your own too, with the best photo of the week posted on the site’s main page.

I’ll have the chicken, thanks.

2 Comments:

At April 30, 2005 5:04 am, Blogger nosheteria said...

Wow! A fan of airline food-- I can hardly believe it. Your enthusiasm for airline travel is inspiring. Got a few helpful hints that will rub off on me? The airplane is a neccessary evil for me.

 
At May 01, 2005 6:42 am, Blogger Chick Pea said...

Order as many vodka tonics as you can stomach.

Just kidding.

I know drinking on flights is a big no-no healthwise (dehydrates you blah de blah), but I do like have something alcoholic as soon as they start serving drinks because I find it relaxes me in preparation for the long flight ahead (New York-Sydney ~20 hours..yikes!). Even if its a short flight I like to have at least one drink because to me its enjoyable. If you're doing something you enjoy, then everything else is enjoyable too. Plus it'll help you sleep!

As for the food, no matter what they serve, I try to eat it as slowly as possible, slower than how I would normally eat. One because it whittles away a few more minutes of flight time, and two because if you eat that slowly, your tastebuds will grow accustomed to the flavors (or lack of) which means hopefully you'll be looking forward to the next mouthful.

Well that's my logic anyway :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home