Friday, August 19, 2005

Dinner for one

I love company. I love going out and being in the company of friends. Whether it be dinner, a drink, or even a walk, I enjoy the companionship of others. Mind you, I'm not the most talkative of people, or even the funniest, but I rarely venture out alone.

One of the things that struck me the most about living here is that many New Yorkers do things on their own - people sitting in a coffee shop by themselves reading a book or tapping away merrily on their laptops; having a solitary drink at the bar; or even going to the cinema alone. I'm sure its like that in any large city, but I guess I've never noticed it until I came here.

As lame as it may sound I have to admit I've never really done anything substantial by myself. Sure I've gone shopping and run errands by myself, but actually sitting in one spot, with no one but myself scares the shit out of me.

Given the choice I would rather bum out at home than go out and do something by myself. The thought of it throws my brain into a state of panic. What will people think of me? Do I look like a loser sitting here by myself? They must think I have no friends. etc etc.

Yes it's childish and silly to think like that, especially at my age, so I've decided it's time for me to conquer this fear once and for all. In baby steps of course :)

1. The coffee shop - OK I've done this one already. Having a book and a watch handy helps, since it looks like you're waiting for someone who's running late. :P

2. Having a drink at a bar - I've done this too. Again had my trusty book handy. Plus it wasn't that bad as I was waiting for the laundry.

3. Watching a movie - this can't be that bad. I mean its dark and all so no one can see who you're with anyway.

And my greatest fear of all...

4. Having dinner alone.

Now I've had lunch many times by myself, but I think dinner would be much harder. Why? I have no idea. Maybe it's psychological. To me, dinner out is a social occassion, a time to have in the company of others. So if I can manage to pull this one off, I think I'll be cured...heh.

I'm giving myself two rules:
  • No books or any other paraphernalia to feign preoccupation (I can fidget all I want, but that's it); and
  • I'm going to enjoy myself
First off, the cinema.

Stay tuned.

2 Comments:

At August 19, 2005 4:46 pm, Blogger Luckyboo said...

This was funny, exactly how I feel over here in Manhattan! I laughed out loud.

It's true.

I don't even like the people in this city - I thought I walked fast, but these people I wouldn't even challenge!

You need to get to the 'American Australian Org'
K.

 
At August 19, 2005 5:10 pm, Blogger Luckyboo said...

Dear Chick Pea,
You should come over for coffee if you like, I think you have a pretty good idea of where we live!

We are off to Syd/Mel on August 31, but I would love to meet you, not sure how that happens because I don't want to put my dets on this website. But if we can work it out - let's do lunch without the literary paraphanalia!! And pretending we're reading the book (I am sooo with you on that!)
Ciao, K.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home