Friday, November 04, 2005

Oodles of Noodles

I'm going through a bit of a noodle thing at the moment. We checked out Momofuku Noodle Bar in the East Village two weeks ago and it was so delicious we had to go there again last night.

The menu is an eclectic mix of Japanese, Korean and Chinese. While such a mix might make you wary of the quality of the food as I initially felt, the yummy Momofuku ramen quickly changed my mind.

A long narrow bar facing the kitchen is the only seating available, which is the perfect way to catch all the action in the kitchen.

Momofuku Noodle Bar
Eerrr...maybe I should ask before I blind them with my flash

Taking photos inside the restaurant wasn't as easy as I thought. After being spoilt by the wonderful photos taken by
AG, I thought I would be merrily snapping away. I didn't want to piss anyone off so I shyly asked the rather spunky chef if I could take a few snaps.

The spunky chef
Noice

We started off with the delicious steamed buns with Berkshire pork. Warm soft buns smeared with plum sauce and topped with cucumber, scallions and pork.

Steamed buns with pork
One is not enough

I followed that with the Momofuku ramen, while J decided to try an interesting grits dish which I have forgotten the name of.

Momofuku ramen
Momofuku ramen

I won hands down.

Grits - Momofuku Noodle Bar
Grits with poached egg, bacon and shrimp

I had never heard of grits until I came to America. It has a porridge-like consistency and has the same texture as congee. I think it is made in the same manner as congee - slowly cooking rice until it breaks down to form a thick soup, though corn is used instead of rice.

Stuffed from our hearty meal, we stumbled home and went straight to bed. Does life get any better than that?

2 Comments:

At November 04, 2005 12:54 pm, Blogger Luckyboo said...

steamed pork buns with spring onions look fantastic - we're going there on the weekend for sure!!!

 
At November 08, 2005 9:05 am, Blogger Chick Pea said...

I have to say again those buns are REALLY addictive. If it weren't for the large ramen, I would happily have ordered an extra portion of the buns!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home